Manataka American Indian Council
Organic Mother's Day Flowers
By Liora Leah, Manataka Correspondent
Honor the Great Mother and buy organic flowers for Mother's Day, and every day, as an action that supports a healthy, pesticide-free environment for all of our loved ones!
Why Buy Organic Flowers?
* When you buy organic flowers, you will not have
to worry about chemicals on your flower bouquets being toxic to your
children, other members of your family, or yourself.
The main goal of organic agriculture is to farm in ways that do not harm the environment.
* Buying organic flowers helps support local organic farming communities and organizations, which often have charitable, philanthropic motives for selling their flowers.
Organic flowers, according to many people, last longer than
On a spiritual, holistic level, organic flowers have been farmed in
such ways that they retain the essence of flowers, as Mother Nature
intended them to have.
Organic flowers are a natural part of a healthy, natural lifestyle.
* Pesticides and other toxic chemicals used on flowers affect the health of farm workers and florists. The toxic chemicals spread onto the clothes and into the bodies of farm workers and their children.
* Studies have shown that 50 % of workers in the Costa Rica flower industry have symptoms of pesticide poisoning. Areas surrounding flower farms there have higher miscarriage and birth defect rates than do other areas.
* The toxic chemicals used on flower farms poison groundwater and the soil. These chemicals also become part of the food chain, as animals such as birds will eat the sprayed plants. In the course of their seasonal migrations, these birds will spread these chemicals globally.
* Through evaporation, toxic pesticides and fertilizers that are sprayed on flower farms end up in the atmosphere. They then travel to other global areas to fall as rain or snow.
Every flower counts: Increasing sales of certified organic flowers
gives the market notice that more organic flowers need to be grown,
which makes more flower farms convert to using organic agricultural
---from the Organic Consumer's Association
Organic Bouquet Inc. OrganicBouquet.com is an online source offering fresh organic flowers. Order through this link and Organic Bouquet will donate 10 percent of your purchase to the Breast Cancer Fund: http://www.organicbouquet.com/Info.aspx?pid=158&msource=news0106&tr=y&auid=1326605
Some independent farms and farmers markets offer fresh organic flowers year-round. Local Harvest lists over 1,500 sources of organic flowers in the U.S., Search here: http://www.localharvest.org/search.jsp?&ty=-1&st=0&nm=%20organic%20flowers
THANKS FOR GOING GREEN!!
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
Suppliers of Organic Flowers We Like:
Email Home Index