Manataka® American Indian Council

 

 

 

 

Grandfather Gray Hawk Speaks

 

 

 

 

 

Using Meditation to Control Emotions - Part I

 

By Robert Gray Hawk Coke

 

How would you like to control depression, anger, anxiety, fear, lingering grief, procrastination?

 

All of these are very complex emotions, which often express themselves in other forms, such as  weight gain, sleeplessness, smoking, drinking, drugs, and general ill health.

 

Did you know that these emotional conditions can be controlled through proper meditation?  Habitual thoughts of hatred, anger and revenge are replaced with intentional thoughts of acceptance, cooperation, unconditional love and forgiveness. If your meditations have not included this work, or if you have been unsuccessful controlling these emotions, you may not  have been using the proper tools while in meditation. It is important to learn how to do this in a deliberate way.

 

Research tells us that we have one mind to observe, create, and overcome challenges. However, this mind has two basic parts: the Conscious Mind, which is 12% of the mind, processes current awareness and makes decisions. The Subconscious Mind, which is the remaining 88%, contains our memories, habits, beliefs, personality, and self image. It remembers every incident that it experiences. (This is called “conditioning.”) The subconscious mind is the storehouse of information, which includes ‘filters’ that strain our awareness. It, also, contains a set of “predefined” instructions that performs tasks, such as controlling body functions. For example, the subconscious mind controls the number of heartbeats, the blood flow, and makes needed adjustments. We do not consciously control many things.

 

Sandy MacGregor, the founder of the Calm Research center in Australia, compares the mind and body to a computer. When you buy the computer, you see the hardware, which is the screen, mouse, keyboard, and computer. However, if you plug it in without software being installed, nothing happens. You need an  operating system, a basic set of predefined instructions, which coordinates the use of the hardware. Once the software is turned on, the computer comes alive and performs fundamental tasks. It will, also, accept more sophisticated programming, as the user chooses.

 

The human body/mind system operates in a similar way as we deal with daily tasks, choices, and challenges. I think of  challenges as unresolved problems. What is a problem? I once heard that a problem is simply something not clearly understood. Another definition says that  a problem is a challenge which requires you to learn, understand, and apply something new, This gives you both new skills and valuable experiences so that you can deal with future “problems” (challenges) more effectively and efficiently.

 

Why are problems so difficult?  I feel frustrated when I want to accomplish something and don’t know how to do it, or when the way I’ve always done it doesn’t work any more. I find that all these situations are ultimately asking me to make a CHANGE ! My decision has somehow conflicted with my existing habits of belief. Since my beliefs are in my subconscious mind, I find myself struggling, as the12% of the mind works to change the 88% causing the frustration.

 

In summary, those of us seeking to improve will need to change the programming in the subconscious mind, so that the 88% is working with the 12%. This involves working with the subconscious mind with intent, understanding how it works, utilizing laws and language of the subconscious mind, and permanently imprinting goals or new intent into the storehouse. We must learn to tap in to the subconscious mind quickly and easily through meditation.

 

Next time, we will look at eliminating addiction to stress and making sleep useful.

 

Also Read: 

Using Meditation to Control Emotions - Part 1

Using Meditation to Control Emotions - Part 2

Using Meditation to Control Emotions - Part 3

Using Meditation to Control Emotions - Part 4

Using Meditation to Control Emotions - Part 5

 

 

 


 

 

Robert Gray Hawk King Coke, 79, Cherokee, is a member of the Manataka Elder Council. Coke graduated from the New Mexico Military Institute in 1952 with a biology degree. He served in the U.S. Army with a tour in Europe.

 

After returning home, Robert Coke, entered pre-seminary school Austin College with a major in Philosophy.  He continued his education by earning a degree in Bachelor of Science in Engineering and a Bachelor of Business Administration at Southern Methodist University where he later served on the faculty as an instructor. In 1996, Elder Coke was elected Chairman, of the American Indian Heritage Association and served as an ambassador for the American Indian Center of Dallas. Gray Hawk is now a semi-retired consultant.

 

 

 


 

EMAIL          HOME          INDEX          TRADING POST