Manataka American Indian Council

 

 

Grandfather Gray Hawk Speaks

 

 

 

Read Using Meditation to Control Emotions - Part I

 

 

 

USING MEDITATION TO CONTROL EMOTIONS - Part II

 

Let us start with a quick review, since a little more than two months have passed since I started this subject.  My August writing discussed the fact  our mind has two basic parts. The CONSCIOUS which processes current awareness and makes decisions, makes up only 12% of our mind. The other 88% is called our SUBCONSCIOUS mind. This part contains our memories, habits, beliefs, personality, and self-image. These aspects are often referred to as scripts and conditioning.

 

The subconscious mind is a true storehouse of information. A large problem with the subconscious mind is it takes all information at face value. It does not know the difference between REALITY and IMAGINATION, truth or false information. The value is that we can use this to change our responses to life. It is here where we can change  our lives because there is no distinction here. We will discuss this more later.

 

Emotions are  developed from the combined action of the conscious and the subconscious. Let me give an example. A fellow I knew had his daughters and one of their friends killed in the safety of their home by being shot with a shotgun. The loss of his loved ones by murder caused  deep grief, which festered into anger, then into hate, and finally into wanting revenge.

 

The man realized that those feelings needed to change and that meditation would help him find the answers needed to survive this tragic event. So he would sit in his room quietly in meditation. He had all sorts of questions that needed answering. Slowly the answers began coming to him while he was deep in his meditations. He began working  with the anger that raged inside of him and the passion for revenge that he felt toward that person who killed his daughters.

The answer that came to him was that his feelings of anger, hate, and revenge were keeping him in the victim position and who did it to him? It was his subconscious mind---the beliefs and emotions he held about the event. The second answer was that he needed to let these scripts and emotions come up, work them out and let them go.

 

Just as meditation held the answers to his questions, it also held the answer to his making changes. In meditation we can turn  many things that are negative into positives. This is done in a deliberate way in meditation. When we mediate on new behaviors and habits, the conscious mind can reprogram the subconscious mind to react more appropriately to the situations we experience.

 

This works because the subconscious mind does not know the difference between reality and imagination, so whatever it experiences, it takes as real. We can change from being a  victim---using the conscious mind in meditation with the proper tools.

 

More on how we handle problems next time.

 

Also Read: 

Using Meditation to Control Emotions - Part 1

Using Meditation to Control Emotions - Part 2

Using Meditation to Control Emotions - Part 3

Using Meditation to Control Emotions - Part 4

 

 


 

Robert Gray Hawk King Coke, 77, Cherokee, is the newest member of the Manataka Elder Council. Coke graduated from the New Mexico Military Institute in 1952 with a biology degree. He served in the U.S. Army with a tour in Europe.

 

After returning home, Robert Coke, entered pre-seminary school Austin College with a major in Philosophy.  He continued his education by earning a degree in Bachelor of Science in Engineering and a Bachelor of Business Administration at Southern Methodist University where he later served on the faculty as an instructor. In 1996, Elder Coke was elected Chairman, of the American Indian Heritage Association and served as an ambassador for the American Indian Center of Dallas. Gray Hawk is now a semi-retired consultant.

 

 


 

EMAIL          HOME          INDEX          TRADING POST