Manataka® American Indian Council

 

Proudly Presents

 

 

 

 

GRANDFATHER GRAY HAWK SPEAKS

 

USING MEDITATION TO CONTROL EMOTIONS - Part 4

By Grandfather Robert Gray Hawk Coke

 

 

Over several months, we have covered different topics with a lot of material. At this time, let’s take a quick review of what we have covered.

 

Each day we face challenges at work and at home .We have stress caused by pressures of  change and relationships. We have frustration with choices of career and prosperity. We have to deal with learning new things, grief or ill health, fear of having to accept new experiences. Most of the time, these situations are viewed as problems. I have said before that in my experience, ‘problems’ are often just a situation not clearly understood. Sometimes it simply requires learning a new skill, which we will use in future ‘problems. It is at this time we ask for guidance. In my experience,  most of these “problems” are asking for just one thing -  CHANGE ! Change is what we find difficult and frustrating.

 

This decision to change is made in our conscious mind and will, in some way, conflict with habits and beliefs of our subconscious mind. In other words 12% of the mind wants to change the other 88%. Now you can see that this is the source of frustration. The first writing was about how to control emotions by using meditation. I discussed the mind and it’s control of the body functions of thought. The second writing was dealing with the conscious and subconscious mind and the use of meditation to allow a change in our “programs.” The third writing discussed using deliberate and directional  instructions and  self-talk during meditation to achieve change.

 

Making Sleep Useful

When you have a major decision, such as buying a car or a home, it is best to do your homework, and then put it out of your mind for a while. Bring it back to mind just before going to sleep and let your subconscious mind churn through the options. The subconscious deliberation could lead to a more satisfying choice than the conscious mind deliberation alone. The conscious deliberation works fine for the less important  or more mundane choices. To do either, you must do your homework by gathering all the facts you can. Choosing a car will need many more facts then choosing towels for the bathroom. Author Dr. A. Dijksterhyis said, “ Once you have the information, you have to decide, and this is best done with conscious thought for simple decisions, but left to unconscious thought, to ‘sleep on it ‘ when the decision is complex.”

 

Let us take a moment for dreams, Studies show that the dreams that you have just before you wake up in the morning are stress release dreams. You release stress dreams naturally when you wake up naturally (not using an alarm clock). Your subconscious mind knows the time, so tell it what time you wish to wake up. Before you go to sleep, you decide how many hours you wish to sleep. When you are ready to go to sleep, your first step as you lie in bed is to go to your personal Place of Peace and this takes you to the relaxed ‘Alpha Brain Wave’ state.

 

Remember that  we are all different in our makeup. The following has worked beautifully for me and many of my students. Others of you may want to “tweak” some things a bit to allow the process  to work for you.

 

While you are in this relaxed state, clear the day you have just been though.  Think though the day in chronological order to clear all feeling of hurt, guilt, anger,  or  any negative thoughts you have placed on yourself.  Then you use a quick forgiveness process,  in any way you prefer. I usually say the simple  statement  “I forgive my self for ------------ !”

 

Then review the parts of the day that were successful and you feel good about and congratulate yourself. You and your inner-child (in you) want to know that it was good. Use your visualization to pat yourself on your back for a job well done.

 

Next time I shall go into how to start the next day and move into a restful sleep. You want to allow the subconscious mind to be able to do what it can and continue to work during the night on the information you want.

 

Also Read: 

Using Meditation to Control Emotions - Part 1

Using Meditation to Control Emotions - Part 2

Using Meditation to Control Emotions - Part 3

Using Meditation to Control Emotions - Part 4

 

Credits:  Mind Control Drawing by Julian Babul

 

 


 

EMAIL          HOME          INDEX          TRADING POST